San Francisco Owner Move In Eviction Attorney
Owner Move-In Evictions
The Law Offices of James Coy Driscoll is a tenants' rights law firm. We fight for tenants who are being unfairly evicted from their homes. If your landlord is trying to evict you, we will fight for you. All you have to do is hire us. Contact our San Francisco law office online or call us at (415) 673-6000 for help in keeping your apartment.
Can I be Evicted if the Owner Wants to Move in?
The law in San Francisco allows the eviction of a tenant if the owner wants to move into the unit or if the owner lives in the building and the owner's close relative wants to move into the unit. The owner move-in and relative move-in provisions are some of the most often abused. All too often, landlords break the law when they try to evict tenants, so that the can raise the rent.
The basic rules for an owner move-in are as follows:
- The owner must make it his or her primary residence.
- The owner must move in within three months.
- The owner must remain in the unit for 36 consecutive months.
- The owner move-in must be done in good faith, without an ulterior motive, and with an honest intent.
- The owner must provide relocation compensation of more than $4,600.00 per tenant, including children. There is additional compensation for the elderly and disabled.
A tenant cannot be displaced if he or she is over 60 or disabled unless the new occupant is over 60 or disabled.
How We Can Help You
If the owner fails to follow the rules above, the eviction may be invalid. The Law Offices of James Coy Driscoll will fight for your rights using the power of the law. We may be able to obtain the following relief for you:
- Prevent the eviction entirely.
- Obtain another rental unit for you in a building owned by the same landlord.
- Obtain compensation well in excess of $4,600.00.
In several cases we handled, we obtained a settlement of in excess of $100,000.00 on behalf of a client. There is no guarantee as to your results. You should hire a skillful attorney to represent your interests in any settlement discussions.
Because of San Francisco's rent control laws, many landlords try to push long-time tenants out of their apartments so they can rent the space at a higher rate.
If this is happening to you, contact our law firm immediately.
Experienced Tenants' Rights Lawyer
Attorney James Coy Driscoll has been a tenants' lawyer since 1991, representing tenants in owner move-in, relative move-in, and unlawful detainer actions. Our firm has prevented evictions in numerous cases and secured clients' rights using the power of the law.
Contact an Oakland Tenant Displace Lawyer
For a consultation with an owner move-in eviction attorney, call (415) 673-6000 or contact our tenants' rights attorney online. The initial telephone consultation is free of charge.
We represent clients in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, and throughout the Bay Area.